Sample of the Military records in the book
letter concerning Richard Christmas
May 15 1940
data which fell in regard to Richard Christmas ,
were obtained from the Pension claim, S.8196, based upon his service in
the Revolutionary War.
born April 3, 1752, in Warren County, North Carolina.
Before the Revolutionary Was he moved to Orange County, same state.
The name of his parents were no given.
resident of Orange County, North Carolina, Richard Christmas volunteered
May 1, 1777, and served one month as private in Capt. Eli McDaniel 's
company, Col. William O'Neal's North
volunteered April 1 1779, and served as private in Capt. Jones' company,
Col. William O'Neal's North
Carolina Reg., and was discharged Oct. 15, 1779.
was commissioned Feb. 25, 1780, Captain of a company of militia in Col.
Hugh Tinning's North
Carolina Reg., marched to the defense of Charleston, South Carolina, where
he was taken prisoner, May 12, 1780, by the British when that city
surrendered, but after being held in Charleston 8 or 10 days, he was
paroled and returned home.
entered the service again Jul. 15, 1781, for the term of 3 months in
Captain Abram Allen's North
Carolina company, was in the Battle of Kirk's Lane, and served until he
was taken prisoner by the British at Hillsboro in Sept. 1781, was confined
on board the prisoner shit "Eske",
at Charleston until July 1, 1782, or nearly a year, when his exchange was
effected by his brother, Nathaniel then
Liet. Of the militia.
other than above) According to the affidavits set forth in application for
pension, The papers stated that Richard had no wife or widow, child or
children. He served
altogether 18 months and nine days. He
was released or discharged about 1 year before his father, John Christmas
Richard Christmas died
March 18, 1833 in Orange County, North Carolina.
James A. Craig , of Orange County, North Carolina, was appointed executor of the estate of Richard Christmas . He applied for pension due the estate on account of the Revolutionary War service of Richard Christmas , The claim was allowed March 25, 1834. . .